Friday, November 2, 2007

Bolly Blog 15 - The lovely Rajeshwari


May I introduce you to Rajeshwari Sachdev Badola. Rajeshwari plays the mother of Teja, our young filmmaker in "The Family Picture." Rajeshwari is a well know actress in India who started her career on the stage, doing plays with The Indian People's Theatre Association at Prithvi. She went on to award winning films and won the Maharashtra State Government Award for Best Actress in her debut film "Aaytya Gharat Gharoba", (that's India's equivalent to an oscar). Rajeshwari's big break came in the form of the Hollywood epic "Little Buddha" opposite Keanu Reeves and directed by Bernado Bertolucci. Raj is a wonderful talent and is playing a very difficult role in our film, that of a harsh mother who has no interest in hearing about her son's film making asperations because of a secret from her past...(that's all I can say right now...you gotta see the movie to find out more!)

Raj working on set with Uma, our director. (Isn't that gold sari gorgeous!)

Raj is married to Indian film and television star Varun Badola, and I bring him up because on one of her first days of shooting, Raj was celbrating Karwa Chauth, a special festival day to honor her husband.

"Karwa Chauth" is a ritual observed by married Hindu women seeking the longevity, well-being and prosperity of their husbands. It is popular amongst married women in the northern and western parts of India, especially Punjab, where Raj grew up.

For Karwa Chauth, Married women keep a strict fast and do not take even a drop of water. They get up early in the morning and wear new and festive clothing. It begins before sunrise and ends only after offering prayers and worshipping the moon at night. The fast is broken once the moon is sighted and rituals of the day have been performed. At night when the moon appears, women break their fast after offering water to the moon.

At 4PM special prayers are offered for the husband. Raj was on the set at 4pm, so she quietly went to the roof of the house where we were shooting to offer her prayers. She invited me along and these beautiful pictures of Raj are during her ritual prayers for her husband.

First Raj lit incense....

Then she began her prayer

Raj is wearing a special wedding shawl called a wedding chunni, that was presented to her by her husband's family....

Here is Raj and Varun on their wedding day, a ceremony that lasted 4 hours! Aren't they fantastic!

I offered up my own little prayer for Richie that afternoon as well...this is a delightful custom that I think I'll take back with me...May you have a long and healthy life Hubby! xoxo Shannon

3 comments:

Cameron said...

That's a wonderful story! I love the idea behind that ritual. Ceremony is something we miss in our culture here in the States. I love how elaborate and involved it all is there, from clothing and make-up and jewelry to all of the prayers and traditions and such. I mean we have it in our organized religions, but not to the elaborate extent that they do. Thanks for sharing her beautiful and intimate celebration of her husband. She is gorgeous by the way. Wow.

Keep it up Shannon. I am so proud of you and for you. I love and miss you terribly, though.

xoxo, Cam

Me Me Me said...

Cam, I could not agree more, They really celebrate life in a beautiful way here and it's something we should do more in our country.

I miss you terribly as well and thanks for your kind words. This has been quite a ride over hear and often times difficult but the love of friends like you keeps me going! !!...Have fun watching the Prism's tonight! - wish I was there!

xoxo Shan

Anonymous said...

Hi Shan!
Love the sandals and pedicure. Sorry you got so sick (but I guess it was going to happen sooner or later.) The kids look like so much fun. I'll light a candle for Joe. Big hug,
Heidi