Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bolly Blog 26 - our fearless leader Umakanth


I think it's time I told you a little about our writer/director, Umakanth Thumrugoti.

Uma has worked for 14 years in the feature animation at Disney. He has held a variety of positions there, including Technical Director, Sequence Supervisor and Look Development/Lighting Supervisor. The films that Uma has worked on for Disney include Pocohantas, Fantasia 2000, Treasure Planet and Chicken Little. Uma also spent 2 years in visual development for Disney, working on future animation projects.

So how did Uma get from India to where he is today? Uma spent his later teen years in Hyderabad, where we have been shooting this film but he also spent some formative years in a village called Bhongir. We went to visit Uma's village where he lived as a young boy. It was about an hour ½ from Hyderabad and I loved getting out of the city to see rural India..

The streets of Bhongir...

Uma took us back to his school...

This is Uma in his old classroom...

A very simple space with just some benches.

These are some of the current students in Uma's school...

(Can't you picture Uma in these cute uniforms!)

Uma told me that he was always drawing and making up stories when he was a child here in this village. He also would go to the local movie theater to watch movies as often as possible.

His active imagination and sense of adventure included a daily visit to Bhongir Fort which is high above his village. Uma took Derth and I to visit and it was quite specatacular. This is the view of the fort from Uma's old house...

We then made quite a rugged climb up the hill...

and here I am on the trek up to the fort...

I loved the feeling up there - on top of the world!!
Finally we get close...

The interior was beautiful...

Uma and I inside the fort...

He told us stories about his childhood while up there on top of the world and it was so clear to me why he is making this film. He paints a beautiful picture of his childhood in India and many of his memories make it into "The Family Picture." It was quite a magical day!

Good Times Uma, Thanks!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey shannon aunt this is onka the star mean shiva how are you there fine . you should come to India and give me candy Ok .

Me Me Me said...

Hello darling Shiva - I miss you so much! I am back here in New York City and wish you were with me now (SUITCASE!) - I am sending you a special present to India and hope you are doing well...give my love to everyone!

Shannon Auntie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.