Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bolly Blog 16 - The (Little) Actors Prepare!


One of the hardest parts of our shooting day is helping our very talented little guys learn their dialogue....We have found that it is best to have them learn the scenes right before they shoot them, as the kids come off very natural and relaxed if they have just learned the lines....getting them to focus and concentrate when we are on a set with 50 people can be tricky...

On some days I'll give it a shot and work with the kids....

Hello??....HELLO...can we focus please.....

That's when we bring in the Dialogue General...Deepti...

Notice how focused the boys are now!


Uma then gives final notes and direction once the boys hit the set...

Uma worked quite a bit with these guys before shooting began, having them come in for a couple of weeks of rehearsals. He even gave some of the actors chapters from Sanford Meisner's book...I'm not kidding! It's what really made me want work on the film, when Uma told me about his respect for Meisner. The Meisner book even shows up as a prop in the film.

One afternoon Teja and I had a great conversation about acting - He seriously wants to pursue it when he grows up and I told him all about The Neighborhood Playhouse, where I went to school...I think he wants to go!

So a big shout-out to The Neighborhood Playhouse and Sanford Meisner!!! Everything I do creatively today is based on the things I learned there...

No comments: