Sunday, December 2, 2007

Bolly Blog 31 - Indian Food


The Breakfast Dosa....Pancakes India Style....

I have gotten a few emails from friends regarding my appearance. Yes...I have lost a bit of weight while here in India...and this brings me to the Indian Cuisine. Now I want you to know that I have really tried as best I can to eat the local foods, but my problem is the spicy...and most of Southern Indian food is SPICY...I think my Irish "potato" pallet just gets in the way of enjoying anything too spicy, so I make due where I can...


Above is a typical Southern Indian breakfast - which we were served every morning. The donut shaped thing is a Vada - a deep fried savoury with some spice to it. The white is Idli, fairly bland white and bread-like. Both are to be dipped in chutneys and samba, which is a spicy stew...I pretty much kept to power bars for breakfast, although occasionally I would have a lentil dish that tasted a little like rice-a-roni or chicken and rice...Again a weird taste for breakfast...

The crew would also have Bonda - those are the things below that look like donut holes. These would be out at the local foods stands when we would be shooting on the streets and was a special treat. They don't taste like dunikin' donuts though, but again are a spicy deep friend potato...

Lunch would be lots of sauces/stews yogurt and rice....below is how the take-out came when we would order food during pre-production...little plastic bags of stews and rice often wrapped up in newspaper....

Actually pretty cleaver when you think about it and very "green"...not a lot of plastic containers...

Here's a typical plate of india lunch food...

Always served on silver trays with little silver bowls for the stews and sauces... And yes most everyone eats with their hands and did so very elegantly I might add. After a few days I tried it and I was a miserable failure and looked ridiculous, so I used a spoon...

There would also be roti at lunch, a whole wheat pita type bread, which is what I would often have with white rice...Yup pretty bland and not a lot of protein...

So what's a woman to do???....

Resort to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich each day, which the crew thought was hilarious...

For dinner we would most often go out and I could find western style food and here is the signature dish which I did like and ate quite often...

Hyderabadi Biryani - a rice dish that is sometimes made with chicken or mutton - lots of good flavor without being too spicy...Hydrabad is famous for this dish...


Good Food..Good Friends...Good Times!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.