Saturday, December 1, 2007

Bolly Blog 30 - The Hindu Temples


Today was my first visit to a Hindu Temple. Sometimes when we are shooting on the streets of Hyderabad I am more trouble then help, as a crowd gathers to see what the white woman is doing...so I was sent off with Sashi to do some temple sight-seeing...

This temple we visited was to honor the Goddess Durga...

Durga is depicted as a warrior with 10 arms who rides a lion or a tiger. This form of the Goddess is the embodiment of feminine and creative energy (Love That!)

These temples are colorful and beautiful...

People come to pray, often with specific requests...

These people are praying to the durga alter....

which looks like this...

I met some very nice people at the temple, who explained a lot of things about the goddes and her power...

A very cool mother and daughter who came to pray together...

Look at this mini-goddess warrior..fierce!

I then was invited to pray, and these women explained that you should ask the goddess Durga for something you need....and then after you finish your prayer you ring the bell...

What did I ask Durga for? The only thing that came to my mind was that I would always feel as happy as I did in this very moment...so far it's working pretty well!

Sashi and I then stopped at a chip shop for a "Thumbs Up!" his favorite!

A beautiful afternoon!

No comments: